Matthew. Emma. William. Paul

Matthew. Emma. William. Paul

Monday, December 5, 2011

"I wish"

This morning I re-watched the Christmas Devotional online while William was napping.  Last night he decided it would be more fun not to cooperate and be quite ...  so I didn't get as much out of it as I knew I could have. There were many things this morning that stuck out to me, one of which I will share.

It came from President Monson's talk. 


If you would like to watch the entire amazing devotional click here

When President Monson spoke of the book "The Mansion," written by Henry Van Dyke. He retells the portion of the story where John Weightman and others reach heaven and are being directed to their heavenly homes. He speaks of a paralyzed woman who succeeded by the miracle of courage to spend her life without complaint and instead impart joy and peace to everyone who came near her. Hers was a beautiful heavenly home.

This caused me to reflect on the game I have recently been playing, "I wish." Let me show you how you play.

"I wish William was old enough to sleep through the night so I could get some sleep"
"I wish I could fast forward these next two weeks and Matt would be done with finals"
"I wish we had our own home and not this little apartment with ugly kitchen cabinets"
"I wish my family and friends lived closer"

Sometimes it's easy to complain and play, "I wish" especially if yours are more serious then the ones I  stated.  But no matter the wish, at the end of this game we are left only with the wish that we started with.

So here is my new years goal, to not complain or wish of times that are not yet here. Instead, continue on enjoying what we do have.

I am starting a new game today, "Come what may and love it!"  With this new game  it does not mean that I suddenly love our kitchen cabinets! In fact, I still think they are horrendous and whoever thought of making such an ugly home furnishing should be punished and stopped... BUT  Even with ugly kitchen cabinets and our tiny apartment I love my life and even more, I love those that are in it.


No comments:

Post a Comment