Matthew. Emma. William. Paul

Matthew. Emma. William. Paul

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Gratitude in a grilled cheese

Spoiler alert- I get mushy about my husband. Consider yourself warned.

Last night Matthew came home from school and William was still napping. We prepared dinner (grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato basil soup) It had been a hard day. I went to check on Will and Matt set the table and put out dinner. I came back and saw that my sandwich was cut into two triangles- just the way I like it and Matt's was cut into two rectangles- just the way he likes it. I smiled and wondered if I had ever told him that's how I like my sandwiches cut or If he had just picked up on it.
Such a silly thing really... the shape of your bead. I don't even know why I prefer it. But in that moment I had appreciation for my husband and how he knew that silly little fact about me. There are so many things he does for me and I never have to ask.


That morning I had woken up to the dishes washed and the garbage taken out. That night he took the first "night shift" with Will and let me sleep. Even with studying left to be done he gave me the break that he knew I needed.


I have become convinced that I secretly married Clark Kent. One day Matt will turn to me and say that he wears spandex and flies around saving people in his spare time. But that's just it- he has no spare time! Between school, work, church callings and us at home he is stretched thin yet somehow he does it all.

I tell William everyday what a wonderful father he has and how hard he works for us. I also tell him to grow up and be just like his dad.



So thank you for all that you do for our family and for cutting my sandwich into triangles even when you  like rectangles.

1 comment:

  1. If you husband does all those things for you, you are very lucky he is a keeper

    ReplyDelete