Matthew. Emma. William. Paul

Matthew. Emma. William. Paul

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Robbie Burns

Yesterday I had a rough day and for the most part I just put my feet up. They would begin to swell when left down you see. I started looking through many of my photos on our computer and one caught my eye of being blog worthy and a memory that I don't want to forget :)



I know what your thinking, "Why is Matt wearing a blanket?" Probably the more important question is how else are you supposed to celebrate Robbie Burns day without proper scottish attire. I am guessing many have no clue what Robbie Burns day is and thats okay. Neither did I until a few years ago when Sylvia and her family introduced me to the festivities. 

                                                    Meet Robbie Burn's


You see, he was a very famous scottish poet and his memory is celebrated on his birthday, January 25th.  Mostly its a dinner feast celebration with a twist. The twist being the main dish. No, its not turkey or ham or even roast beef.... It's Haggis.  Also it is not just served by setting it down on the table ready to eat. There is a poem to declare its arrival and a routine stabbing of the Haggis, the Scottish way.

                                                 Meet Haggis ....

What looks so delicious you ask.... Well it is a sheep's "pluck" (heart liver and lungs) cooked in the animals stomach.......Obviously ....  Sylvia told me her mom was cooking steak as well and this is what sold me. Naturally being a red head I was eager to embrace my scottish ancestry and join in but mostly to eat Wendy's steak- SO GOOD!

During our engagement Matt and I were apart for four months while he attended BYU and I moved back home to work. The next semester he took off and moved to Victoria to work also. It was between these times that I expressed to Matt on the phone how much fun it would be if he were in Victoria to celebrate the great Robbie Burns. Matt was in Washington at his parents home, waiting for his visa to come to Canada. Although he did not seem eager when I told him he could wear a kilt he also expressed that it would be ideal if we were together. 

We celebrated Robbie Burns day early that year as Sylvia was leaving for a vacation to Thai Land on the actual day. I finished work and started the drive over to the Yzenbrandts. From here I'll let the video explain. 



It was the best surprise ever and obviously I didn't know what to do with myself.  Isn't Matt's accent fab, he inevitably turns scottish when he tries to pull off any accent. I always turn East Indian... its a problem.

I later found out that Matt had been held up at the border, interrogated due to the amount of  belongings he had lodged in his car. He had literally walked in as we were sitting down to eat.  Had they given him more trouble at the border it may have messed up our Fiance Visa application.

Thanks Syl and all the Yzenbrandts for helping pull that one off. I just LOVE surprises! 



And yes we both tried the Haggis. It was... not as good as the steak. 

So if you are in Eugene January 25th you better believe we will be celebrating Robbie Burns day- wearing blankets and eating beef. 

1 comment: