Matthew. Emma. William. Paul

Matthew. Emma. William. Paul

Sunday, September 11, 2011

You Can Never Be Too Prepared.... Right?

For those of you who know me well, you know that I really like to have things in order and prepared so It looks like I know what I'm doing. As soon as we found out we were pregnant I purchased, "Your Pregnancy Week-by-Week" and "Googled" about everything there is to know about pregnancy. Waiting to find out the sex of the baby was just not an option- how was I to properly nest or prepare mentally?
Now that I am actually looking pregnant and strangers say, "when are you do?" or "congratulations" I didn't feel silly walking into the library and renting some books on what to with a new born. I didn't want to look like an idiot to the Pediatrician or other mothers. As a result, books about pregnancy, delivery, and how to get your baby on a sleeping schedule are pretty much the only things I read now. Matt has even joined in on my obsession...

The more I learn I realize that every baby is different. Sadly even though  I have a well formulated plan It may not work. BUT I can still plan the essentials. Firstly, I didn't want the nurse to call child protective services when she saw me try to operate an infant car seat while leaving the hospital. Have you ever tried to use one of those? or the stroller for that matter... Its harder then you think. Thankfully the "Chicco" company must have planned for the unintelligent to use their product and all the important handles and buttons are orange. Genius!
Tonight we had a little practice run. 


Thanks to Jared and Cat for the Build-A-Bear gift certificate... He makes a lovely stunt double.

After reading all the instructions carefully and feeling a little more confident about being a parent we moved on to a few more essentials. 

                                                      The Baby Bjorn

I wish I could tell you that I knew what a "Baby Bjorn" was when my sister- in- law Kourtney told me she had one for me... I quickly googled

And I thought fanny packs were cool in the 80's. Just look at the ease and style the Bjorn adds to a previously ordinary look . Matt is always so handsomely fashion forward. 

OK now some of you might laugh at me for this one but I have NEVER actually changed a baby BOY'S diaper. I have changed them when they were a little bigger but never an infant. This was one of my major concerns about having a baby boy- being peed on while changing the little dudes diaper. Matthew being a champ has changed a little boys diaper and he coached me through it. 




Now we took on the task of mastering the "swaddle." Apparently this is the key to a happy sleeping baby, its basically guaranteed in all of the baby sleeping literature.  We call it the baby burrito.



Just look at that technique would you. I'll be happy to boast and tell you that I didn't even watch the DVD- Step by Step Swaddle - that came with one of the books to pull this off. Thats 100% intuition. 


And just like that he will sleep in his crib all night long due to the perfect swaddle. 



2 comments:

  1. cute! you 2 are so adorable!
    I read the baby sleep solution (referred from Laura) and I got a lot of good ideas and info from that book. I think it's great to be prepared! Read up and ask questions about the next stage before you even get there and you will feel more ready!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dog is priceless. I hope he doesn't feel too hurt when baby Vickery replaces him.

    ReplyDelete