Matthew. Emma. William. Paul

Matthew. Emma. William. Paul

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Canada V S America What's The Difference?


I always love telling Americans I am Canadian because I know exactly what they are going to say."Canadian eh?" or "Its SO cold there!" I have only ever been astonished once, when a lady asked me if they had universities in Canada... she then proceeded to ask if I had sleigh dogs. I didn't know what to say but wish I had said this:


I am sure there are many actual important differences between these two neighboring countries but I would like to focus on the non important and more comical.

1.  People in America wear shoes in their home. This is so weird to me and I can't get over it. Why would you want dirty shoes on your carpet? In canada it would be rude to do so. However, this is nice in the fall when you are wearing boots over your jeans and you don't need to fuss to get them on or off but I strongly believe American's are missing out on the usage of slippers- the indoor shoe. 

2. There is no poutine (POOH-TEEN) in America and people will look at you weird if you ask for gravy on your fries.  I ask you, who wouldn't want cheese curds over their fries slowly melting due to hot delicious gravy?
Americans hardly use ketchup either! Its all about the fry sauce (a mixture of mayo, ketchup and sugar) that I have refused to try based on principle.

3. In describing a situation where someone was angry and chose to lift their middle finger up at you while keeping the others down, be careful . In America it is NOT ok to say they "fingered you." Instead, you have to say they "flipped you off" or "gave you the bird" .... I learned that the hard way.  

4. Maple syrup in America has over 10 ingredients, the first being corn syrup. In Canada it reads, pure maple syrup. What's worse? A husband who says that he can tell the difference but likes them both. For that reason we have two different kinds of syrup in our home, real and corn. He is not allowed to eat mine until he admits it is one million times better. 

5. Mexican food. Canada has horrible mexican food! In fact I thought I hated it, turns out I just hate taco bell. 

6. Sports are a big deal here. I am not just talking about the NHL "Hockey Night In Canada." There are news crews at high-school football and basketball games. College football is bigger then the NFL and you can watch all of the games online while claiming you are studying....

"WHAT? NO! it didn't even hit the ground" is not legal jargon. Haha

7. Intimidation and pride are huge in the States. Probably my two favorite road signs, haha 
Litterbug.jpg 


as apposed to a sign you might find in Canada 

8. If you are looking for "homo" milk in America you have to say "whole" milk. However, nobody in Canada thinks twice about the word "Homo" in big letters on the side of a milk container and what it might conjure up in the minds of Americans.


 I should label this post as part one as I am bound to think of other funny differences, but for now I will end on homo milk. 



5 comments:

  1. love this! i want more! ps what's so wrong about "giving you the finger"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poutine does look good. I know the fry sauce thing is more popular in Utah/Idaho. I asked for it in Orange county and got a weird look, the stick to ketchup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned the hard way about "giving you the finger" too. It's a reference to something sexual

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The finger". Very awkward moment for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I'm sorry but also glad that I am not the only person who had an awkward moment with "the finger"... I started to question if that was really what we said in Canada.
    And Clay, Poutine is lovely. You should try it out.

    ReplyDelete