Matthew. Emma. William. Paul

Matthew. Emma. William. Paul

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Memories of Music Past...

I have never participated in illicit drug use or felt the high from gambling an amazing hand of poker. I HAVE however felt my heart beat rapidly increase and a frenzy take over while purchasing new songs on Itunes. Almost unconsciously I become fixated on the computer screen. I just have to find the newest songs and unknown artists. During these moments I am convinced I could block out any sound or explosion. Sadly, I have taken a break from this addiction as "extra cash" has become a laughable phrase and Law School student loans have become a reality.
Pandora at home and radio in the car, although less thrilling, have become my cover up fix. So when It came to finding a new station to listen to in Eugene I was on top of the task. Quickly disappointed, we  found only two radio stations that I reluctantly programmed. The first is a mix of the top 100 and the other is a station devoted to the 70's 80's and 90's....I know. If anyone in Eugene is reading this please inform me otherwise.
It was on a night of frustration flipping between the two that I rediscovered a funny fact. Although Matt and I are the same age, we have a VERY different music past and memories. I was greatly influenced by my older sister and mother into dace music. My mother, an aerobics instructor, had to create the perfect mixed tapes to get everyone pumped  (could there have been a better job in the late 80's/ early 90's!) The leg warmers and scrunchies alone have inspired millions of halloween costumes.


Naturally the car rides I became accustomed to were filled with Phil Colins, Gloria Estefan, Ace of Base, Michael Jackson, Madonna, and many other finger snapping tracks. I remember these car rides fondly and when the songs come on now I turn it up and think of my mother. Matthew usually looks at me as though I am suffering from a seizure. So when "I love the night life" came on and I could sing all the words.... well ....

Its safe to say that Matt exploded in laughter as I simultaneously NAILED the vocals. We have been singing it to each other ever since.

It was always a party in mom's car, what can I say. She was and is always up for a dance party. I can even remember an Ace a Base concert on the front lawn. I love my mother. She has continued to love the latest hits-this is just another constant in life. My father (until recently) was a "caught in the past" music rememberer and lover. Don't get me wrong there are some amazing rock songs of the past but I never understood how he didn't get board of them. What really threw me for a loop was when my parents came to visit us in Provo and he was listening to the Black Eyed Peas. Nothing really prepares you for something like that. Do you know how many arguments I had with my father while driving with him, begging to listen to "cool" music. Now my mother is singling along to Rihanna and my dad is asking me if I have herd this song yet.

 As an extra music treat, here is a great song to listen to. I haven't been able to get this out of my head for WEEKS! Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. The pumped up kicks song is my kids' favorite right now. Must get a vid of you hitting all the notes to "i love the night life"...seriously. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha that song will now be stuck in my head for the next several weeks..... :)

    ReplyDelete