Matthew. Emma. William. Paul

Matthew. Emma. William. Paul

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Firsts

It is so much fun watching William's days fill with firsts. Here are some recent first.


Rice Cereal. I had originally figured I would introduce this when he turned 5 months (the end of this month) but he has been consuming considerably more milk lately and has to double up in order to have a solid nap - longer then 45 mins. If I have learned anything about my son, it's DON'T mess with his naps. He takes 4 a day and is SO cranky without them. I haven't decided if it's just a male trait or if he gets his need of sleep from his father.


So the task of keeping this growing boys tummy full is of utmost importance.

Love those tummy rolls...
why do they stop being cute?



He seemed to think it was a cool idea at first but now the novelty has worn off and he wont really eat  without spiting it out and getting frustrated. I think I'll try again in a few weeks (mom's is that what you do?). I tried some myself and don't really blame him... So for now I will continue to double up on milk. 

Another first came today. 


William sits!


He's still a little tipsy but can hold himself up for a few minutes as long as he is still and uses his hands to support himself.


 And he still folds over when trying to grab a toy.

But still, it's pretty cool in my books. Up until yesterday he could only "sit" when he was on my lap and had my legs/stomach to help keep balanced.


I'm pretty proud of my little guy, I can't help it.


So bring it on firsts

5 comments:

  1. You can mix the rice cereal with something that will make it yummy- see if that helps. Kailey likes cereal and apple sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww he's so cute. I agree... tummy rolls are adorable... WHY did they stop being cute! Just keep trying with the rice cereal... or try another brand/flavour. I know as soon as I gave Liv homemade purees she refused the rice cereal stuff. perhaps do a yam puree or sweet potatoe... something they start with at 6 months anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I introduced rice cereal (even earlier than you for the same reasons so good call!!) I found Isabelle took to it like a champ and still continues to shovel food into her mouth. Abigail on the other hand spat it out more etc. I just kept going becuase I figured she needed to learn and needed to be fuller. I wanted her to learn so I would put a soother/pacifer in her mouth after every spoonful to help her learn to swallow (because I felt like that was what her problem was)- I also started with the rice cereal as a really thin consistancy. Have fun! Solids continues to get fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies. I think it is a swallowing issue... I mix the cereal with breast milk (I don't really want to start real food until he's six months) and he still spits it out. I tried giving him just milk in the spoon and he spat that out too... I have been lacing his second bottle with rice cereal and he eats it just fine. I'll try the pacifier trick and see if that helps. From what I understand though, the reflex to push food to the top of their mouths just takes time to develop...??

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's so cute. I can't believe he's sitting! We need to get these kiddos together soon! Taycie wouldn't take it mixed with breastmilk - she'd only take it mixed with water and it had to be really runny first. And in the beginning - she took it off my finger much better than a spoon. But yeah, stick with it, he'll get the hang of it!

    ReplyDelete