Matthew. Emma. William. Paul

Matthew. Emma. William. Paul

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Throwback Thursday

Earlier in the week, a friend of mine posted on her instagram that she was listening to some 90's music (Alanis Morissette) and cleaning house.  I know what you're thinking. "Wow Emma, you have friends that have great taste in music." You're right, I do.

Anyway It got me to thinking that I also needed some Alanis in my life that day. Now if you are american you may not fully understand how awesome Alanis Morissette is and for that I'm truly sorry. Because nothing made me feel more "deep" than blasting her songs in elementary school. You know cause clearly in the 4th grade my heart had been broken and I could fully understand the meaning behind her jaded lyrics. 

Anyway, as I was rocking out in the kitchen to  youtubes greatest hits list of Ms. Morissette and it made me think.

It's happened.
I'm old.

It all started when I turned 26. Hear me out. I was 26 and someone asked me how old I was. "25" I replied. No, I wasn't trying to be a year younger. I just genuinely forgot how old I was. And that, as we all know, is the first sign of getting old. "What year is it?" "How old am I?" and the mathematic equations that follow, are truly a tell tale sign you are no longer 16 and three quarters.

Don't get me wrong, I love being 28 and I'm fully aware that 28 is not that old. I am merely addressing the comedic moment when I realized that I had a "this is what my parents must have been thinking" moment, which is always unsettling.

So, as I had one hand in my pocket, the other one was scratching my head thinking how the crap did this happen. I am my mom AND my dad.

I used to tease my father saying, "Didn't you listen to this music enough years ago? why don't you listen to someone cool like No Doubt or Ace of Base. Just to give my father some credit, he was the one who purchased "Jagged Little Pill" and what he was listening to I now realize was much better than "I saw the sign." although, only sightly.

In later years my parents have started listening to more current music. Lets just say nothing quite prepares you for the moment when you hear your mother singing along to Rihanna "chains and whips excite me" cause that happened. In all fairness, I should have seen it coming. I've also been there when she was belting it out to "it's getting hot in here" and "I kissed a girl and I liked it" so...

As I'm contemplating all of this, I realize that my kitchen windows don't have blinds AND being new to the neighborhood I suddenly felt sheepish. I continue listening but took it down a notch and start looking at Wayfair for couches online...obviously

Enter Matt coming home from work.
"Why are you listening to Allanis Morcette? are you emotionally stable right now? Is everything okay?" Because I was laughing too hard to answer any of his questions he walked over to the computer and then said, "oh couches, you're happy and rocking out, okay."

Let the record show that I am not usually in emotional turmoil when he comes home but apparently, in Matt's mind, Allanis would be the remedy and I agree



You're welcome








No comments:

Post a Comment