Matthew. Emma. William. Paul

Matthew. Emma. William. Paul

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Grandpa Tovey

I consider myself to be a person of strong and rooted beliefs. I have a testimony of God, our eternal father, and his desire for us to be happy and ultimately return to live with him again. I also believe that families exist in heaven. That the bonds on this earth have the power to continue for eternities. I know I will see my Grandpa again, but it still aches. 


PAUL REDVER TOVEY 

  |   Visit Guest Book

PAUL REDVER TOVEY (1914 - 2012) Born in Toronto after his parents emigrated from England to Canada. Predeceased by his first wife Marjorie (nee Lynch). His love and companionship will be sadly missed by his wife Roselyn. Guidance, encouragement and support will be cherished by his four children: Cynthia, Charles, Leslie (David), Victoria and step-son Randolph (Anna). Proud Grandpa to his eleven grandchildren and eight great- grandchildren. He will be remembered as a gentleman with a good sense of humour, wonderful disposition, intellect and a zest for travel. His presence touched those who met him. If riches could be measured in friends, then Paul was surely rich. In his young life he was an active oarsman in the Don Valley Rowing Club, an avid theatre goer with a great passion for music and dancing. In the RCAF, he served as a flight instructor. Employed by the Ontario Provincial Government in the Ministry of the Attorney General, he travelled the province extensively. In his retirement, the computer became a foremost connection with his family and friends. Cremation has taken place. A memorial service to celebrate Paul's life will be held in the near future at BUTLER FUNERAL HOME (33 Duke St., St. Catharines, 905-684-2334), day of service to be determined. If desired, memorial donations to the charity of your choice. Online condolences



The trampoline I am standing on was the source of HOURS of entertainment. Grandpa lived in apartment buildings, LARGE ones. I can remember standing next to a row of elevators, Lindsay and I would stand in front of the one we thought would arrive first. It was always a thrilling game. I think Lindsay used to win mostly... 

The things I remember most from our visits were:
The lobby's carpet- It was nothing like the normal carpet found in our house. It had large designs that looked like hop scotch. I would bounce around pretending some shapes were lava and not to be stepped on.
The little Trampoline- as previously mentioned... I still feel the spinning sensation when I would stop bouncing and walked normally on the carpet.
Grandpa's chair- He had a lazy-boy complete with a massager. This was the coolest chair to me!
Grandpa's fridge- Grandpa had his own fridge because he had quite the sweet tooth. I loved his fridge.... but mostly the freezer which was always stocked with ice-cream. 
Grandpa's laugh- Grandpa was forever laughing, smiling or mid laugh while smiling.
Grandpa's teeth- Grandpa had dentures and would sometimes pop them out to give the grandkids a scare   
Grandpa's hair- As shown in this picture above Grandpa had a full head of hair. He used to let me style it. I can remember putting about a million tiny pony-tails in his hair hahaha. There is a picture of this in my parents home. I will have to find it!


Erica and I visiting Grandpa and Roselyn when they lived at Niagara-on-the-lake. Niagara is one of my favorite places!

As I grew older my memories of Grandpa were a little different.  Grandpa was smart. I loved talking to him. I can remember one time when he came to visit us in victoria and we talked about anything/everything for hours and then the next day we did the same.
When MSN became popular he was the only grandpa I knew who had an account. He seemed to keep up with 
technology easily... better then I will I'm sure. I'm already pretty technologically retarded at 25.
It was that same trip when I saw Grandpa eat an onion like an apple. Ew!

For as long as I can remember Grandpa had two homes. One in Ontario and one in Florida. This is what inspired my parents to do the same in their retirement. Grandpa would go dancing each week well into his 80's. He always seemed to live life to the fullest with a smile. You couldn't help but be happy when he was around.

When my parents purchased a place in Florida they flew Lindsay and I out for Christmas. Grandpa lived close by and we were able to have a Christmas together(something that hadn't happened in YEARS)

Christmas 2008



 Classy.



To my dancing/massage chair sitting/ice cream and onion eating/pig-tail wearing/smart/laughing/tech-savvy/loving Grandpa. I will miss you. I love you.


























1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about your grandpa. Beautiful post Emma! Sending love your way.

    ReplyDelete