Matthew. Emma. William. Paul

Matthew. Emma. William. Paul

Monday, August 29, 2011

Celebrating the sugar in my life.

Fact: I love food. I have always loved it and I always will. There is a special place in my heart where I embrace my love of sugar and anything sweet. I get excited about going out to dinner based on the desert menu. I have even calculated how much of the dinner I actually finish so that when the waiter comes by and asks, "Do we have room for desert?" I can confidently reply, "Yes." I mean how can you say no when they smell and look so enticing.





























So when I went to my Dr and he told me that I needed to take the routine pregnancy "sugar test" I thought this sounds like fun. Then his nurse explained the details. First I was to eat a well balanced breakfast and then wait 4 hours. 4 HOURS! Asking me not pregnant to wait 4 hours before I eat something is torture. Now I eat every 1.5/2 hours. So after waiting the extremely long 4 hours and feeling the beginning signs of starvation, I was prepared to ingest a highly concentrated amount of sugar. Cookies? Cake? Chocolate? Ice Cream?   NOPE.....
Yum doesn't that look tasty. The best part, you have to drink it in less the 5 mins! So pretty much you are encouraged to chug down a nasty drink that tastes like a mixture of cough syrup and flat extra sweet sprite.

This sugar test was as much of a disappointment as when my mother told me she had added a chocolate "substitute" to her banana chocolate chip bread recipe. Also for the record, carob chips taste nothing like chocolate. Just because it is brown and they can mold it in to chip like shapes does not make something as complex and lovely as chocolate.  The people who chose to market it as a "substitute" should be fired.
 (I love you mom but you know how I feel about Carob)

Now after finishing this drink,  I feel like I just ate an entire chocolate cake by myself but with a horrible twist ... I don't have the satisfaction of eating chocolate cake.

And for the poison cherry on top of this carob cake ... I now get my blood drawn.

Sugar test 1    Emma 0

4 comments:

  1. Emma, your blog is great! You are such a fantastic writer and it brings a smile to my face upon reading each post-- keep it up!!! Love and miss ya! ~Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. You're lucky, I had to fast for 10 hours, and then drink twice the amount since they were out of the actual stuff and made it up (it was bright orange in colour). I hope you don't have gestational diabetes! keep us in touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the title and thought you had written a blog post about me, sadly I read it and it wasn't about me but I still miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make me smile. I have to agree that stuff is DISGUSTING!

    ReplyDelete