Matthew. Emma. William. Paul

Matthew. Emma. William. Paul

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Bad Manners!

You know those moments where you let yourself down. When you say something that you instantly regret. You wish you could take it back but it's already out there. Floating in the air right in front of you. Mocking you. 
Vocabulary:  "Bahaha Dufas"
Your pride:   "Crap"
Understand?

As a Canadian living in America I can tell you that overall Canadians and Americans look similar. Sure shapes, sizes and styles vary but I'm sure I pass as an american on a daily basis.  With the exception of Sunday, when I was asked if I was European- I took it as a fashion complement. Thank you. 

Growing up in a tourist town we got pretty good at picking out the Americans. The ones wearing eagle shirts with strips were a dead give away and almost too easy to be fun. Then there were the also obvious however less patriotically dressed Americans. These were those who could be heard complaining about the expensive prices, small portion sizes or laughing at the Toonie and trying to decipher between the one and two dollar coins . 
 The point of this post is not to make fun of Americans... All though I really enjoy it. I can say that because I have a green card. The point is to publicly display my verbal blunder. You see the sure fire way to spot out an American in Canada is the phrase, "huh?" Canadians use phrases like, "Pardon me?" "Excuse me?" "I'm sorry?" "What was that?" NEVER would you hear a Canadian utter "HUH?!" in a rude/hick way.

Unless you're me. I'm embarrassed and shamed to admit. I said it. Please someone take me back to Canada so I can remember my manners before I start saying crazy things like y'all. Gross. 

To all of my Canadians, please forgive me.  



No comments:

Post a Comment